An engineering company was shifting their health benefits to a private exchange that offered High Deductible Health Plans (HDHPs).
Due to these changes, they wanted to support employees before and during open enrollment to ensure a smooth launch and confident decision-making based on the employees’ individual situations.
Working with the client’s HR team to support the company’s goals and their strategic initiatives, Health Advocate implemented the Enrollment Advocate services that would be delivered by a team of Benefits Specialists who were trained on the new offerings and could serve as the primary resource for learning about benefits options and answer all benefit-related questions. The team was available to:
- Explain the plan changes (medical, pharmacy, dental) in simple language employees could understand
- Review plan options and actions employees needed to take before the open enrollment deadline
- Help employees understand costs, including payroll deductions and out-of-pocket expenses (deductibles, coinsurance)
- Educate employees about pairing consumer-driven health plans with health spending accounts (HSAs, FSAs, HRAs) to maximize savings
- Provide direction to enrollment tools and explain the enrollment process
- Address specific issues, such as pre-existing conditions
- Identify in-network providers and provide transition of care support for employees who were changing medical carriers
- Assist with any clinical issues affecting employees’ plan decisions
- Answer questions about voluntary benefit programs
- Outline the many other ways Health Advocate can help, including facilitating pre-authorizations, locating lower-cost generic medications and more
Health Advocate also supported a communications strategy to ensure that key dates and requirements were properly communicated to the entire employee population. We also provided a convenient process that enabled employees to schedule appointments with a Benefits Specialist over the phone.
Health Advocate was able to successfully educate a significant number of employees about the organization’s newly-introduced HDHP benefits during a five-month period, resulting in a substantial number of employees enrolling in the plans.
- Number of eligible employees: 75,000
- Number of Enrollment Advocate interactions: 34,329
- Total hours interacting with employees: 18,992
- Total employees enrolled: 60,000